JOB DESCRIPTION - COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
The PCCC is looking for an experienced Communications Director to own all organizational messaging and pitching and seize opportunities to drive the news using our unique voice. This is a key senior position in the organization and will report directly to the co-founders.
- Identify opportunities to drive news – and seize those opportunities. This includes ensuring we drive the debate. It also includes inserting our unique voice into external events already being reported.
- Own the pitching! After identifying opportunities to drive news, you will own conceiving the pitch, conceiving who gets pitched, conceiving the timing of the pitch, getting approval on the pitch strategy, making the pitch, and getting great results.
- Consult PCCC cofounders on organizational messaging and positioning.
- Help conceive internal press shop systems. After a period of getting acquainted with existing PCCC press shop systems, you will help co-founders evaluate our systems and recommend changes. This includes protocol for tracking and responding to reporters requests, norms for who goes on the record when, frequency of reporter one-on-one meetings, etc.
- On-the-record engagement. The co-founders do a lot of media, but you will also do a lot of on-the-record engagement. This will develop over time, likely starting with paper statements in your voice and graduating to interviews as expeditiously as possible.
- Consult and help our electoral and advocacy teams. Media is often a key part of our electoral and issue advocacy work. You will be a key consulter on the front end of planning this work, and many tactics conceived in other areas of our organization will rely on a big assist from our press shop to make a reality.
- Manage press secretary. After a period of getting acquainted with existing PCCC press shop systems, you will take over management of our press secretary.
- Occasional trainings. We do candidate and campaign staffer trainings, and you may occasionally be asked to lead a media training.
Salary and Hiring
This is a full-time, salaried position, which includes health care and dental.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Our team is virtual, with staff around the country.
The Progressive Change Campaign Committee is dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, or disability status.
The Progressive Change Campaign Committee (BoldProgressives.org) is a million member grassroots organization building power at the local, state and federal levels. It engages in electoral work and issue advocacy work -- fighting on democracy issues and for economic populist priorities like expanding Social Security, debt-free college, and Wall Street reform. Senator Elizabeth Warren said: "PCCC members were with me since the beginning -- even before there was a beginning! Now, we have lots of work to do together." The PCCC has raised over $22 million in grassroots donations for its electoral and advocacy work -- and directly for progressive candidates and committees. It has also trained hundreds of state and local candidates and elected dozens of bold progressives to Congress.