JOB DESCRIPTION - ASSOCIATE
Do you agree with big ideas like Medicare for All, expanding Social Security, and making college debt-free for everyone? These issues didn’t become mainstream simply because they are smart policy -- the conversation evolved because of strategic partnerships between outside groups and members of Congress. And what members of Congress work on and talk about has never mattered more than it does in the current political climate -- with huge ripple effects for 2018, 2020, and beyond.
The Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC) seeks an Associate to join our dynamic legislative affairs team. This position will work directly with Senior team members, assisting in the development and implementation of sophisticated legislative strategies, primarily on Capitol Hill, but also in coordination with other PCCC issue campaigns at the national, state and local levels. In executing these responsibilities, s/he will report directly to the co-leads of Legislative Affairs, and will collaborate with senior members of our press, email, and campaign organizing teams.
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of work experience in federal legislative affairs, an interest in Democratic politics and the nuance therein, strong relationships on Capitol Hill, and a thorough understanding of the federal legislative process.
While PCCC is a virtual work environment, candidates located in the Washington, DC will be given strong preference due to in-person events and meetings.
- Represent PCCC on Capitol Hill, ensuring PCCC is always represented in the room with a high standard of excellence.
- Monitor legislative and political developments. When necessary, propose recommendations and strategies.
- Establish and maintain a strong political network, including but not limited to strong relationships with congressional offices and government affairs representatives from allied organizations. Assist in coordinating joint efforts when appropriate.
- Prepare materials, talking points, background documents, and other communications for congressional meetings.
- Conduct strategic planning in advance of meetings, including meeting goals, and ensure follow up afterwards.
- Organize and staff events with Members of Congress and progressive allies.
- Connect progressive experts to congressional offices.
- Cover hearings and relevant events, often on behalf of the legislative affairs co-leads.
- Assist in the development of PCCC’s legislative goals and implementation plan.
- Work collaboratively with other PCCC teams, maintaining a high degree of professionalism and responsiveness to your colleagues. This might include connecting PCCC colleagues with Hill offices, inviting Members and staff to PCCC events, speaking at events on behalf of PCCC, and providing internal political and legislative updates, among other responsibilities.
- 3-5 years of federal government relations experience.
- Strong relationships on Capitol Hill.
- Thorough understanding of the legislative process.
- Strong grasp of progressive politics.
- Diplomacy, tact, and a strong gut instinct for gathering relevant intel and making smart recommendations to achieve our goals.
- Discretion and good judgment in executing responsibilities.
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Excellent research skills and written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a virtual workplace.
- Healthy skepticism of the "way things have always been done" and willingness to develop smart outside-the-box ideas for creating new strategies for engaging congressional offices and allies.
- Strong ability to build relationships.
- Team-oriented attitude.
- Commitment to working within congressional ethics rules (this position requires registration under the Lobbying Disclosure Act).
- Problem solver who doesn’t just see issues, but envisions creative solutions.
- Ability to plan ahead and proactively push projects forward.
Compensation and Hiring
This is a full-time, salaried position, and includes healthcare and dental.
Our team is virtual, with staff around the country.
The Progressive Change Campaign Committee is dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, or disability status.
The Progressive Change Campaign Committee (BoldProgressives.org) is a million member grassroots organization building power at the local, state and federal levels. It engages in electoral work and issue advocacy work -- fighting on democracy issues and for economic populist priorities like expanding Social Security, debt-free college, and Wall Street reform. Senator Elizabeth Warren said: "PCCC members were with me since the beginning -- even before there was a beginning! Now, we have lots of work to do together." The PCCC has raised over $25 million in grassroots donations for progressive candidates and committees. It has also trained hundreds of state and local candidates and elected dozens of bold progressives to Congress.